Bryan and Cecile Ames
Chi Alpha Missionaries at Virginia Commonwealth University
(FORMERLY AT U. OF MISSOURI — ST. LOUIS AND SOUTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY — EDWARDSVILLE)
Reaching the Nations from the University
Bryan, Cecile, Jeremy (16), Abigail (14), Jonathan (13)
We started a Chi Alpha Ministry at the University of Missouri—St Louis (UMSL). For five years we were “bi-vocational”. Bryan worked at a full-time job in addition to serving in Chi Alpha. We have seen God do miracles! God is awesome, and He answers prayer!
God led us to be full-time Chi Alpha missionaries.
Throughout this website you will see students from many different nations. Although we are in the USA, we get to reach people from all over the world by reaching international students. Then they go back to their nations and make an impact for Christ! We also get to reach Americans, who will probably have the greatest challenge to their faith of their lives while in college.
Why Reach the University?
The world has come to us!
Over 1,000,000 international students attend universities — many are from nations where missions work is prohibited or restricted. They go back to their countries to be leaders.
Why invest in reaching the university?
- The university is one of the most pivotal mission fields on earth.
- Future leaders in business, government, entertainment, journalism, and education are all trained at universities.
- Almost everyone is taught by university-trained educators, so almost everyone is directly or indirectly influenced by the university.
- By transforming the university, we can transform the marketplace and the world!
- To see how you can partner with us in reaching the university, click here.
"The university is a clear-cut fulcrum with which to move the world...More potentially than by any other means, change the university and you change the world."
— Charles Malik (1906-1987), President of the UN General Assembly
STUDENTS ARE AT A PIVOTAL POINT IN THEIR LIVES:
"The average [person] makes seven major decisions in their life. At least five of them are begun in college."
— US Department of Labor
"In college, [Christian students] are assaulted by secular relativism, and if we don't prepare them, they will be like lambs led to slaughter."
— Chuck Colson, founder of Prison Fellowship
FIND OUT HOW TO PARTNER WITH US IN OUR VISION to reach the university!